Monday, January 25, 2010

Jibber Babber

I keep debating letting this site dissolve and then I find myself here again.

I realize that there is a very small reader base, but I actually enjoy looking back on my thoughts and when I was listening to what, so I guess there is still some purpose to the site.

I am very excited for the Retribution Gospel Choir show in two days. The new album is such a departure from the Low stuff. For the week, RGC 2 is up on Spinner and worth a listen. I'm not looking forward to the ride home from Milford at 1 in the morning however.

I've also been in a huge Beatles kick. It's pretty new for me. I've always been a fan of the White album and I love Abbey Road, but I've never been inspired to dig deep into the context that brought it all about. That is until last summer when Rolling Stone ran an article about the Let It Be sessions and the beginning of the end for the Beatles. For the first time they were real people and not just pop icons for me. Subsequently, my in-laws gave me a copy of Let It Be-Naked (the intended version of the album that was scrapped forty years ago). It is absolutely amazing. Such great songs in such raw form. I've even been reading "The Love You Make" one of many books that traces the history of the band. It's like watching a perfect storm. Unbelievable talent and timing and luck and hard work. It's really tempting to order the box set off of Amazon.

Tom Waits - Glitter and Doom was another Christmas gift that I've been hooked on lately. If you are a fan of Tom, it's must have.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, let me just say that I'm still out here, and I read (and enjoy) every post. And now I'm going to check out the new Retribution Gospel Choir.