Friday, February 26, 2010

Rock and Holy Rollers!

What does the Pope rock out to? Alright, I don't know the answer to that, and I probably don't want to. However, a Vatican newspaper has gotten us as close to the answer to that question as we may ever get. When I came across the news link reporting that this newspaper listed what Vatican City claims to be history's ten most essential rock albums, I couldn't resist. I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised.

Here they are listed in the chronological order of their release:
"Revolver" by the Beatles, described as more innovative than any of their successive albums.
-definitely one of their best, but Sgt. Pepper is possibly the most innovative album ever
"If I Could Only Remember My Name" by David Crosby. Its songs used experimental musical forms to express an "existential fragility," the article said.
-uh, sure
"The Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd, which the newspaper called an "amazing" and eminently enjoyable milestone in the history of rock music.
-I'm still picking my jaw off of the floor that this is a list from catholic central
"Rumours" by Fleetwood Mac, which the article said mixed the sounds of blues, pop and country.
-hell yeah!
"The Nightfly" by Donald Fagen of Steely Dan. A niche album, but "brilliant and ironical," according to the Vatican newspaper.
-Is ironical even a word?
"Thriller" by Michael Jackson. The article described this album as "the masterpiece of the king of pop" and said its original approach went against the stereotypes of black music.
-great, no doubt. I don't tend to think of it as a rock album.
"Graceland" by Paul Simon, who used South African music with his own to create a multiethnic album that marked the birth of "world music," the newspaper said.
-why did he want to be called Al?
"Achtung Baby" by U2, a disk that stands out for its music and lyrics, and remains a symbol of the '90s, it said.
-hmmm? Flip a coin with Joshua Tree
"(What's the Story) Morning Glory?" by Oasis. The group picks up the great tradition of the Beatles, but with a harder edge of punk and rock, it said.
-wtf?
"Supernatural" by Carlos Santana, seen as an avant-garde mix of blues, soul, salsa and rock.
-an extra big wtf?

Rumours I flat out agree with. The rest wouldn't make it on my personal list, but for the most part it is a pretty comprehensive list with very notable and interesting recordings. Well, for the first 8 anyway. the Oasis record is great, but the ten greatest? Even their own justification discredits it's historical merit. And Supernatural described as avant-garde? I think someone got lazy with that one. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed, given our current Pope, that there was no krautrock present. Perhaps Kraftwerk - Radioaktivitat should have taken the avant-garde spot.

I'm forming my list, but would love to hear what other people have to say. What was missed?

No comments: