Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Trippy Reprise

So I did some re-listening to the Massive Attack stuff. They certainly were paving the way for Tricky and Portishead. Even paving the way with Tricky. I didn't realize that Blue Lines was from 1991. Man, were they ahead of their time. I'm listening to their Mezzanine album at the moment. I never really got into it in '98 and it has been many years since I last listened to it. There is some great stuff going on there. I think it may remain in heavy rotation for a while.

I guess that my oversight was more due to the fact that they lacked a certain downbeat murkiness and sorrow that the other two mastered. Perhaps the grandness of their sound kept them just far enough out of the emotional gutter for me.

In any case, I'm quite excited for Portishead - Third. Out today!

No comments: